Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park, Jodhpur – Complete Travel Guide
Jodhpur, the second largest city of Rajasthan, is the home of many notable tourist attractions. Rao Jodha desert Rock Park is one of them. Established in 2006 for the restoration of natural ecology, Rao Jodha Desert Park is located at the foot of Mehrangarh Fort.
This park contains sandstone and volcanic rock like rhyolite, welded tuff and breccia, formed between 745 to 680 million years ago. Spread over 200 acres of land around the Mehrangarh Fort, it consist a native plant nursery, visitor centre, small shops and cafe.
Plant and Animal life
This park is a home of 250 species plants which includes lithophytes, rohido, kumatiyo, hingoto, kharo jaal, bui, kair, kheemp etc. In spite of the hot climate and desert area, this plants have survived here. Among the animals travelers can witness mammals like five stripped palm squirrel, Indian crested porcupine, few reptiles and over 200 species of birds like common babbler, grey Francolin and white eared Bulbul etc.
Places to Visit
Native Plants Nursery
For the restoration of the park, there is a nursery which is located near the public drinking water station. During the monsoon season over 80 species of raised flora are planted out in the park.
The 17th century gateway, Singhoria Pol houses the visitor’s centre. It has a gallery about the desert area, restrooms, a small souvenir shop, ticket counter and café.
Apart from this travellers can also enjoy four trails (yellow, green, red and blue trails) which are 880 meter to 1115 meter long.
Tips for travellers
- This park is huge and travellers have to walk to complete rocky and sandy area. So wear your comfortable shoes.
- Don’t forget to carry water and sun protection creams as the weather during the day time is very hot.
- Photographers can bring their camera and binoculars to enjoy the surrounding beauty. View of the Mehrangarh Fort from the park, surrounding natural landscape and the beautiful birds you surly want to capture in your camera lens.
- Guides are available, you can take help from them to explore most of it. For guides charges are Rs 200.
- Opening time of park varies from month to month. From April to September its 7:00 AM o 6:30 PM and October to March its 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM. Entry fees is Rs 100 per head.
Best Time to Visit
Rainy season and the post rainy season are the best time to explore this wonderful land. Travelers can visit this park between July to October to enjoy the fresh green plants of this rock park.
How to Reach
Rao Jodha desert Rock Park is located outside the main town which is easily accessible by busses or taxis. Jodhpur railway station is nearest railway station and it is well connected with the major cities of India. By flight travelers can reach to Jodhpur airport, 6 km away from this park. From there cabs are available.
You can also opt for the luxury train Palace on Wheels offering five star facilities onboard the train.
Know more about the Palace on Wheels:
- Palace on Wheels train itinerary
- Palace on Wheels train departure dates
- Palace on Wheels train ticket price
- Palace on Wheels train cabins
- Palace on Wheels train booking
So, visit this huge ecological park during your trip to Jodhpur and create some unforgettable memories with your loved ones.
Read more related articles of Palace on Wheels: