Jag Mandir Palace, Udaipur
Udaipur or the City of Lakes can be stated as the most beautiful city of Rajasthan. The complete city is encircled with numerous crystalline lakes and dotted with intricately designed palaces. One such remarkable architecture of Udaipur is the Jag Mandir Palace.
The Jag Mandir Palace was built by Maharana Amar Singh, Maharana Karan Singh and Maharana Jagat Singh in the time period of 1620- 1652.
The palace is also called the Lake Garden Palace and is nestled at the heart of Lake Pichola.
Let us enjoy a virtual tour of Jag Mandir Palace.
Jag Mandir Palace is also historic due to the following facts:
- Shah Jahan stayed at the Palace before becoming the Mughal emperor.
- European women and children stayed as refugee at this palace during the First War of Indian Independence in 1857.
Read More: Palace on Wheels information
Few architectural designs were used by Shah Jahan to built Taj Mahal.
1. Sprawling Garden
The first part of Jag Mandir Palace which attracts your attention is the lush green garden. This Palace served as the summer resort for the monarchs and hence is splendidly decorated with colourful and aromatic flowers like moss rose, yew bushes, jasmine, bougainvillea, nasturtiums and verbenas, life is blissful as you enjoy a stroll over the soft green carpet of the garden, enjoying the pleasant breeze flowing from Lake Pichola and inhaling some fresh air.
The beauty of the garden is enhanced with two life size statues of white elephants which are kept at the entrance.
Also Read: Palace on Wheels history
- Jag Mandir Palace or the main part is designed with Octagonal towers and also at the corners with attractive domes.
- Gul Mahal is an example of spellbinding architecture, surrounded by Mahals made with red and black marble. The marbles are carved with murals and paintings which is rarely found in any other Rajasthani architecture. Another noticeable feature of the Mahal is the Islamic crescent at the top of the dome.
- Bara Patharon Ka Mahal is another impressive architecture of the Palace along with the Kunwar Pada ka Mahal.
View More: Palace on Wheels train pictures
This is a treasure house of the souvenirs, artefacts and relics from the Mewar Dynasty.
4. Quintessential Cuisines
5. Bar and SPA
Guests can refresh and spend some exciting time with friends and family at the bar of the Palace which is well stocked with fine quality wine and other beverages.
The SPA offers both Ayurvedic and Thai massages and treatments under a soothing ambiance. So, visit Jag Mandir Palace after exploring Udaipur so that you can restore your health and become stress free with ease.
- Carry sunglasses and hat to save from the heat.
- Comfortable shoes to go around the Palace.
- Carry water bottle to cope up with the summer.
When to Visit?
It is best to visit Udaipur and Jag Mandir Palace during the months of September to March.
9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Boat ride to the palace:
- Regular boat ride: 300 INR (adult), 150 INR (Children)
- Sunset boat ride: 500 INR (adult), 200 INR(Children)
- Boat Charter: 4000 INR (for 7 people)
Find out the Palace on Wheels Price
How to Reach?
The nearest airport in Udaipur is Maharana Pratap Airport which is around 20 Km away from the city Udaipur. It is well-connected to all the major cities of India such as Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Jaipur.
Once you reach the airport, you can hire a cab or book the taxis that are easily available on the airport.
Buses are easily available and well-connected to the Udaipur. Also, you can opt for self drive or hire a cab.
There are many direct train to Udaipur from major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata.
Ride on Palace on Wheels, a luxury train from the Indian Railways to visit Jag Mandir Palace with ease. The train reaches Udaipur on 4th day of the trip. The Palace can be reached via a boat ride from the Bansi Ghat jetty. To avoid the crowd, tourists can hire private boats and cruises.
More details about Palace on Wheels:
So pack your bags and get ready to enjoy a soulful vacation at Jag Mandir Palace, Udaipur.
Places to visit near around Jag Mandir Palace in Udaipur:
- Jagdish Temple, Udaipur
- Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur
- Kumbhalgarh Fort, Udaipur
- Fateh Sagar Lake in Udaipur
- Lake Pichola, Udaipur