A Complete Information about FatehPur Sikri, Agra
The former capital of Mughal Emperor Akbar, Fatehpur Sikri was built in the year 1571 by the Emperor himself. Impressed by the prophecy of the Sufi Saint Shaikh Salim Chisti who predicted the birth of Akbar’s son Jahangir, Akbar started the construction of this place and named it as Fatahabad meaning ‘Victory’ which was derived from a Persian word Fatah.
But due to the shortage of water and the proximity of the area to the Rajputana neighborhood, this Indo-Islamic masterpiece was left behind in the year 1585. Till today many domestic and international tourist visit this small city of Agra for its outstanding architecture.
Also Read: Information of Palace on Wheels train
Places to Visit in FatehPur Sikri
To commemorate the successful Gujrat Campaign, Akbar built Buland Darwaza which means magnificent gate in Urdu. This red sandstone wonder not only shows the brilliance of Mughal craftsmanship but also displays the religious tolerance of the great Mughal king Akbar. Phases from the Bible is written on the gate in Persian words. This 55 meters high Mughal architecture is the prime attraction of Fatehpur Sikri.
Read More: History of Palace on Wheels train
Hall of private audience or the Diwan E Khas is another unique buildings of Fatehpur. Four Chhatris, intricately designed central pillar and amazing floral interior design makes this place different from others. Representative of different religion used to discuss their faiths with Akbar here.
Find here the Palace on Wheels fares
Tomb of Sheikh Salim Chisti
Located in the courtyard of Jama Masjid, the tomb of Sheikh Salim Chisti is made of white marble. This tomb is surrounded with carved jalis and the inside is decorated with precious stones.
Explore More: Palace on Wheels pictures
One of the first building in Fatehpur, Jama Masjid was built under the guidance of Salim Chisti. This red sandstone and white marble structure is one of the largest mosques in India. Interior of this mosque is decorated with ingenious geometrical patterns colored in brown, red, turquoise, black and white.
View More: Lounge and Spa at Palace on Wheels
The five storied pyramidal structure, Panch Mahal, also known as Badgir,was built for the purpose of entertainment. Placed in front of the Anoop Talav, this palace is supported by 176 columns made of sandstone.
Alternatively known as Mariam-Uz-Zamani Palace, this palace was made for Akbar’s Rajput wife. A perfect combination of Rajputana and Islamic style, Jodhabai Palace was built with special care to ensure privacy.
Apart from this famous spots one can also visit ‘Naqqar Khana’, the house of Akbar’s favorite minister ‘Birbal’s House’, Elephant tower ‘Hiran Minar’ etc.
Best Time to visit
November to March is the best time to visit FatehPur Sikri and it is open on all days. Try to visit this place early in the morning to avoid the crowd.
- Don’t forget to bring camera, as this location is perfect for photography.
- Due to the warm climate of Agra it is always advisable to carry water.
- The place is dominated by many beggars, try to avoid them. Don’t give anything to them. Government has increased the security of this place for them.
- There is a distance between the car parking area and Fatehpur Sikri. You can avail a government shuttle bus to cover this distance for Rs 10 only.
- Ticket fees for foreigners is Rs 485 per head and Rs 50 for Indians. No fees for children below 15 yrs.
- Be aware of fake tourist guides, always go with licensed tourist guides.
- There is an Archaeological Museum which is free of cost and remains open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM except Friday.
- Tourists can also go to nearby Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary which is only 25 minutes away from Fatehpur.
How to Reach
Fatehpur Sikri is 40 kilometers away from Agra and it is very well connected with the national capital New Delhi, Jaipur and other places of Uttar Pradesh. One can avail taxi, tourist buses from Agra at a reasonable price.
Find here more about Palace on Wheels
- Palace on Wheels train journey
- Schedule of Palace on Wheels train
- Coaches of Palace on Wheels train
- Thematic Restaurants of Palace on Wheels train
- Palace on Wheels train Route
- Palace on Wheels train booking
It’s better to stay in Agra as very few hotels are there in Fatehpur Sikri. Charges varies from Rs 1000 to 1500 per night. One can easily complete this day trip and go back to Agra.
This UNESCO World Heritage site must be visited to witness the architectural marvel of Mughals. With its rich history, preciously decorated interior and Indo Islamic style it has become one of the most visited tourist spots of Agra after the Taj Mahal.
Popular Attractions to Visit with Palace on Wheels Train: