A Review of Palace on Wheels Tour and its Signature Itinerary
The pioneer of luxury train travel in India, Palace on Wheels is famous for its signature itinerary, which is mimicked by almost all the luxury trains in the country. This itinerary adds all the elements of tourism like natural sightseeing, architectural sightseeing, wildlife, heritage sites, cultural performances and historic elements.
The itinerary stretches for one week. It is a lot more time to spend inside a train. However, it is not your average train to be struck with boredom. The train reaches a new destination every day and the list of amenities and facilities inside the Palace on Wheels train and inside your cabin is enormous. Thus, it is the best way to enjoy your vacation.
Let us dive into the itinerary, one day at a time.
The train starts the itinerary at New Delhi. It is quite a good choice as Delhi has a busy international airport, which connects India to numerous other international destinations. If you are in India, every airport in the country is connected with Delhi. Once you reach the railway station, a traditional Indian welcome awaits you. This is the best way to enjoy the culture of the land. The train starts its journey at 6:30 in the evening and you would be given enough time to settle and explore the train after a small presentation about the legacy of the train. Dinner is served inside the train.
Palace on Wheels has crafted its itinerary to the best tune. The first itinerary is the land to enjoy culture and monuments. Jaipur holds numerous architectural marvels within its boundary like Amer Fort, Hawa Mahal, City Palace, Jantar Mantar and others. Thus, it is a simple way to start your vacation, without getting exhausted. After a long day of sightseeing, elephant ride, city exploration and others, you would be taken back to the train, right in time for dinner and rest.
After a day of mild entertainment, it is time to turn the knob on excitement. The day starts very early with an early morning game drive at Ranthambore National Park to spot animals like tigers, deers, elephants, birds and others. It would take a couple of hours to complete the safari. Later, you would be taken back to the train for a well-earned breakfast and a brief rest. The train moves towards Chittorgarh and by evening, you would be taken into the city for exploring Chittorgarh Fort and enjoying light and sound show.
After a hectic day-three, it is time for a mild day. What can rejuvenate and de-stress you better than a city of lakes, calming tuk-tuk ride and impressive shopping experience? It is time for Udaipur. You would be taken to a series of tourist attractions, historic sites and monuments for sightseeing. Later, you would be taken to a royal saloon for an iconic lunch. Later, you would be taken to Lake Pichola for boating, sightseeing at haveli and others. You would be taken to the hotel in the middle of the lake for enjoying a high tea. Later, you would be taken back to the train for an early retire.
After Udaipur, it is time for Palace on Wheels to pick it up a notch to impress. Therefore, it is time for Jaisalmer. The first stop is Gadisar Lake, then it is time for simple shopping. Later, the main sightseeing site, Jaisalmer Fort comes into the list. After few hours of exploring this living fort, you would be taken to the sand dunes by late afternoon. Camel rides will be scheduled for you after tea. Sometimes, the place might be a little crowded. You cannot blame it, as it is the iconic attraction of the region. Later, you would be taken back to the train for refreshing and getting cleaned from the sand on you. Later, you would be taken back to any star hotel in Jaisalmer for a royal dining experience with tradition music and dance performance.
After a tiring day of sand dunes, cultural performances and sightseeing, it is time for a milder day. Visit Jodhpur for a pleasing experience. The sightseeing covers Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada and a little shopping experience in the local shops. The city is a beauty by itself and the best way to enjoy it is by taking a tuk-tuk ride. This is the real adventure of the day. If you love photography, you would love this ride. After a traditional lunch, you would be taken to the train, very early to rest and enjoy the amenities inside the train.
This is the last excursion day of the itinerary and the train holds the two best spots for the final trip. The first one is Bharatpur’s Keoladeo National Park. It is a bird sanctuary, which is famous for its safari. Later, you would be taken to Agra for a sightseeing, which would end with a visit to Taj Mahal. The visit to the wonder is specifically set at late afternoon to provide enough time for the travelers to explore the monument, museum and mosque inside it and get ready to watch sunset. Later, a few hours would be spent for shopping before getting back to the train for the final journey of the itinerary.
The train stops at Delhi station and it is time for the travelers to pack and get ready. Breakfast will be served and then, it is time for checkout formalities.
Also Read: What is the Ticket Price of Palace on Wheels
Review of Palace on Wheels Accommodation
Although you would be spending a large portion of your vacation outside your cabin, your suite is your retreat spot to get back and relax. The train understands it and keeps your cabins, at the highest decor level possible. Palace on Wheels holds 39 Deluxe cabins and two Super Deluxe cabins. In total, it can hold 82 travelers. So, what do you know about the cabin, except the fact that would be at its height of luxury? First of all, learn about the terminologies. The train holds many carriages and each carriage holds certain number of suites. Passengers are assigned suites.
The deluxe cabins or the deluxe suites are named after the princely states of Rajasthan like Ajmer, Bikaner, Bharatpur, Jodhpur and others. The 39 cabins are placed in 13 carriages and thus, each carriage holds three cabins. Within each carriage, the three suites are named as Pearl, Sapphire and Ruby. Deluxe cabin holds a bedroom with twin bed, with holds a wardrobe and a small corridor, for people to walk through. All the suites are air-conditioned. These suites have
- Antique wooden furniture
- Delicate artworks on the wall
- Attached bathroom with toiletries
- Electronic safe
- Luggage hold
- Individual temperature control
- Telephone facilities
- Internet service
- Access to gym, spa and others
- Doctor service
- Hot water facilities
- Daily change of towel, bed sheets and linens
Each carriage, named after the princely state has one striking difference than others like, Alwar coach holds oil and cone works, designed ceiling and pink interior. Bharapur holds white cedar design and artwork of birds. Bikaner coach holds colorful handicrafts, canvas artworks, gold and red decor and so on.
Super Deluxe suites
There is only one carriage with super deluxe suites and it is called as Taj Mahal. It holds two super deluxe suites, namely the Emerald and the Diamond. They both have queen-sized double beds. The suite contains bedroom and living room. The living room has vintage upholstery and hallmark items. Apart from all the basic amenities of deluxe cabins, the super deluxe cabins have additional features like
- shower cubicle
- complimentary snacks and beverages
- mail box
- first-aid box
What do you know about Palace on Wheels package?
The cost of a ticket in Palace on Wheels train starts at $4,550 for basic accommodation, Deluxe Cabin during lean season. It can got up to $12,600 for the same options during peak season. This cost has to be paid in advance, at least two months prior to the departure date. This however, is not a simple statement to not care. You need to understand what are all included in this cost and the costs, which your wallet might be taking up during the trip. This article will talk in detail about the inclusions and exclusions of tariff.
- Every meal provided by Palace on Wheels inside the train (including chef’s specialty dishes) and during excursion is included in the tariff. However, the food items and others, which you buy during your visit to cities, are not included in the tariff.
- The train travel, luxury car travel and accommodation are included in your tariff. Welcome kit present inside your car and the one your receive on the very first day are all included in the tariff.
- Entrance fee, entertainment fee, camel ride, boat ride, safari and light and sound shows, which are indicated in the itinerary are free. This does not include video camera fee.
- Business car amenities inside the train are not included.
- Water, coffee and soft drinks are included in the tariff. However, liquor is not included.
- Laundry services and telephone services are not included in the tariff.
- Butler and porter are arranged by the Palace on Wheels. However, tips are not included. It is up to you to show your gratitude to their service.
- Services for your toddler are not included. Kids below the age of 5 years are charged 10% of ticket cost and kids below the age of 12 are charged half the price. Each individual should have a separate ticket.
- The tariff does not include tax, GST and surcharges, which changes from time to time.
Top Reasons To Choose Palace On Wheels Luxury Train Journey
Why should you be spending a huge chuck of money on a train travel? What is so special about a vacation with Palace on Wheels, that it attracts people from every nook and corner of the world?
Here are the top reasons to why your next vacation should be with Palace on Wheels, if you are visiting India.
- Avoid haggling with taxi drivers, hotel accommodation, waiting in line for monuments, finding shopping spots and so on. Every element of your vacation would be arranged for you by your tour manager.
- Luxury is inevitable and you can enjoy the cream of a vacation, better than staying in a boutique hotel.
- You would not forego anything in this vacation. Starting from wildlife attractions to cultural events, every part of Indian land will be presented to you. This is the vacation, which can never go wrong.
- You get to be pampered 24/7 inside the train and also during the excursions
- Are you looking for a romantic time? Are you taking your corporate team for a meeting cum vacation? Are you looking for a royal wedding experience? No matter what your requirement is, Palace on Wheels has technologies and facilities to help you enjoy the trip as you desire.
- You can enjoy souvenir shopping, without getting out of the train.
- Name a cuisine or a meal option and you would have it.
- If you are traveling with children, Palace on Wheels got your kids interest too with board games, books and other facilities inside the lounge room.
- Starting from wheelchairs to native language guide, you can find almost all unique and essential facilities for your vacation with Palace on Wheels.
- Starting from dailies at your bed to laundry service, Palace on Wheels has everything that a star hotel can provide you. You need not worry about enjoying a star-hotel styled living throughout your vacation, when you are with Palace on Wheels.
- With the on-board spa, gym and lounge, you will always be relaxed.
- You can easily enjoy a family based vacation with the classic itinerary of Palace on Wheels.
- Internet facilities and telephone facilities will keep you in touch with your home and business.
- Are you looking for a royal way to spend your vacation? This is exactly how the royal heirs of the land traveled the country.
Aren’t you a bit curious to why Palace on Wheels get so much attention and recognition for its itinerary, service and facilities? It is time to come on-board and check it for yourself.
Read more related articles of Palace on Wheels
- Palace on Wheels Train the Best Way to Visit India
- Travelling Tips Before Planning Palace on Wheels Journey
- Virtual Trip of 14 Palace on Wheels Coaches
- Tips for Traveling with Palace on Wheels